Drought readiness - you can't always count on the rain!
It's no secret it's been a hot, dry summer.
While drought is not inevitable, with the combined level of our drinking water dams hovering at 70%, it is time to start preparing ourselves - and our homes, gardens and pools - for the possibility of a drought.
What can I do?
- Use mulch or compost on your garden to improve the soil and retain moisture
- Reconsider when and how much to water your lawn and gardens. Aim to avoid the heat of the day. Can some plants handle a little less watering?
- Check if your shower heads, taps, toilets and other appliances are water efficient. Choose water efficient products with a high-water efficiency rating. Do full loads in the washing machine and dishwasher.
- Use a pool cover and check your pool for leaks
- Don't leave the tap running e.g. when shaving, brushing teeth, washing fruit and vegetables
- Check and fix leaks around the home.